Tuesday 29 March 2011

Eulogy for a Sneaker


Tomorrow I am leaving Japan for the third time.

For me, leaving Japan has strong associations with throwing away a well-loved pair of trainers.

In 2004, it was a pair of dark blue Sketchers which had never given me so much as a blister. At the time they were the most expensive pair of trainers I had ever bought, and I had loved them. But all loves must come to an end.

In 2009, it was a pair of turquoise Nike Air Force, which I had originally bought to adorn my feet whilst playing basketball. They were, are, and perhaps always will be, the most garish pair of trainers I have ever owned.

In 2011, it is a pair of Nike+ running shoes. Bought in January 2008 for, well, for running. Bought because I'd gone to Fukuoka to play futsal on a Wednesday, but futsal was cancelled that day, so instead I bought expensive trainers and went to the pub. Nike+s, we have travelled hundreds of miles together, thanks to you the onset of heart disease and diabetes may have been put off for a few years. We have run on tarmac in Japan, sheep sh*t in Wales, and paved streets in Salamanca. Your soles are worn down, your seams are torn, you are filthy and you smell terrible, but I have loved you. I hope you can join Turquoise Air Force and Dark Blue Sketchers in Trainer Heaven.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment